Many Americans are increasingly turning to nutritional supplements such as fish oil to achieve better health. But first we need to ask what is fish oil pills good for and what are the benefits.
One reason why is that the average diet today is lacking in several important building blocks necessary to keep the body healthy.
Even healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables have less nutrients when compared to the same foods 50 years ago.
This is due to the fact that the soil it grows in is nutrient deficient because of the constant use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
This is not helped by the constant bombardment we get from pollution, toxins, chemicals and the day-to-day stress of modern lifestyles.
An easy way of replenishing these missing but necessary substances is through supplementation.
Discover What Fish Oil Pills Can Do For You
One such important nutrient that is lacking in many diets is the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA. These fatty acids are essential and can only be obtained through food.
As a result, many people are supplementing their diets with fish oil pills which are the best source of these essential omega 3 fatty acids.
There is a vast number of health benefits to be obtained from their consumption.
Chronic inflammation is one of the main sources of many chronic illnesses such as cancer, diabetes 1, celiac disease plus many well known allergies, asthma, hay fever, rheumatoid arthritis and many of the 80 autoimmune diseases.
Omega 3, containing EPA and DHA, helps to control this chronic inflammation.
What are omega 3 fish oil pills good for and how do they work?
Omega 3s work by stimulating the production of chemicals in your body and that helps control inflammation in the joints, the bloodstream, and the tissues.
- The American Heart Association recommends the consumption of a full gram of omega-3 fatty acids per day in order to combat various forms of heart disease.
- Omega-3 fatty acids help to reduce high triglyceride levels. There is a strong evidence also that they prevent high blood pressure and other forms of cardiovascular disease.
- While the benefits of omega 3 capsules for the heart is well known, there also appears to be significant anti-cancer benefits as well.
- One large study of 35,000 women demonstrated that taking fish oil supplements led to a 32% reduction in the risk of contracting breast cancer.
- The omega-3 fatty acids in this oil have also shown to reduce the risk of prostate cancer in mice.
- Colon cancer is another disease that physician believe omega-3 fatty acids might help to deter.
- There is also a lot of evidence that fatty acids supplementation can contribute to better mental health as well.
- In one study blood levels of 100 suicide patients showed that EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) levels were extremely low in red blood cells.
- There have also been small trials that indicated that omega-3 supplements might have some use in preventing depression.
- Studies have also shown that feeding prison inmates a diet of fish lowered violent tendencies.
- Various neurological diseases might also be preventable with fish oil supplementation.
- One study showed that the DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) in fish oil might protect patients against some of the cognitive deficits associated with Alzheimer's disease.
- However, the benefit is still rather theoretical, as some studies have failed to show a real benefit in elderly patients taking the supplement.
- Omega-3 fatty acids do appear to confer a protective benefit to mice against the development of Parkinson's disease, although this has yet to be demonstrated in human patients.
- If you are pregnant, taking fish oil supplements could be a really good idea. Studies have shown that breast feeding women using omega-3 conferred a measurable benefit in the brain development and visual development of young children.
- Omega-3 supplementation in pregnant women can also be especially important given western diets are deficient in it, and often the mother's supply of EPA and DHA is depleted even further as the omega-3 acids available are usually diverted to the developing fetus.
Taking fish oil supplements appears to have a wide variety of benefits for any individual.
By starting these supplements today, you might be able to prevent many problems later in life or reduce current symptoms.